US to certify Indian NGOs
Washington: Amid concern over some NGOs misusing foreign aid, the US is preparing an online searchable database containing a vetted list of transparent and
accountable Indian non-government bodies so that philanthropists can safely donate funds to them.
"And by matching a list of certified Indian NGOs with potential American donors, we aim to create an online philanthropy market place," said Robert Blake, the US
Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia.
The database would facilitate tax deductible donations to organisations in India, Blake said while delivering keynote address to the Washington DC annual gala of the American India Foundation.
The State Department is working with a non-profit group called GuideStar India to create the online tool, he said. Last month, India had ordered an inquiry against at least 10 NGOs following reports that they were providing funds received from abroad for fanning political unrest in the country.
Government officials said the inquiry has been ordered after the Home Ministry received information that funds to the tune of crores of rupees received by these NGOs have been given to social activists to stage protests and resort to
other agitational programmes against government policies thus creating unrest.
The inquiry had been ordered amidst media reports which suggested that Denmark plans to provide funds to outfits that rally against Indian government policies.
GuideStar India provides information of over 1000 NGOs in India in an easy to search fashion to help users connect quickly with organisation(s) working in the area of their choice, the organisation said on its website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price