Varanasi: Parents of abandoned girl sent to jail
Varanasi: The parents of a year-old girl, found abandoned on Shitla ghat in Varanasi after December 7 blast, has been sent to 14 days judicial custody by a court here.
The child Gauri will remain with her mother Gita during this period, while 11-year-old Riya will stay with her uncle, police said on Wednesday.
Gita and her husband Nilesh Pandey were booked under various sections of IPC and Protection of Child Rights Act for torturing a minor and abandoning their daughter in an infectious environment, Superintendent of Police Vijay Bhushan said.
Nilesh, who works as a guard, and Gita were unhappy over having another girl child and planned to abandon her, the official said as he maintained the couple were not related to the blast conspiracy.
Gita was taken into police custody on Sunday after she returned here, while Nilesh was detained in Balia.
Nilesh had earlier maintained that Gauri is dead.
The child was found abandoned on December seven at the Shitla ghat, the scene of the blast that left two, including
a two-year-old girl, dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- If Priyanka Gandhi takes charge of Congress then BJP will face tough challenge: Ramdev
- 'Jai Hind' – this is how Air India will wish passengers now!
- Government vows to crack down on super-rich tax evaders
- Watch: Dwayne DJ Bravo gives rib-tickling sneak-peek into upcoming episode of 'The Kapil Sharma Show'!
- Sting row: Harish Rawat asked to appear before CBI on May 24