Varanasi: Parents of abandoned girl sent to jail
Varanasi: The parents of a year-old girl, found abandoned on Shitla ghat in Varanasi after December 7 blast, has been sent to 14 days judicial custody by a court here.
The child Gauri will remain with her mother Gita during this period, while 11-year-old Riya will stay with her uncle, police said on Wednesday.
Gita and her husband Nilesh Pandey were booked under various sections of IPC and Protection of Child Rights Act for torturing a minor and abandoning their daughter in an infectious environment, Superintendent of Police Vijay Bhushan said.
Nilesh, who works as a guard, and Gita were unhappy over having another girl child and planned to abandon her, the official said as he maintained the couple were not related to the blast conspiracy.
Gita was taken into police custody on Sunday after she returned here, while Nilesh was detained in Balia.
Nilesh had earlier maintained that Gauri is dead.
The child was found abandoned on December seven at the Shitla ghat, the scene of the blast that left two, including
a two-year-old girl, dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof