Varanasi: Parents of abandoned girl sent to jail
Varanasi: The parents of a year-old girl, found abandoned on Shitla ghat in Varanasi after December 7 blast, has been sent to 14 days judicial custody by a court here.
The child Gauri will remain with her mother Gita during this period, while 11-year-old Riya will stay with her uncle, police said on Wednesday.
Gita and her husband Nilesh Pandey were booked under various sections of IPC and Protection of Child Rights Act for torturing a minor and abandoning their daughter in an infectious environment, Superintendent of Police Vijay Bhushan said.
Nilesh, who works as a guard, and Gita were unhappy over having another girl child and planned to abandon her, the official said as he maintained the couple were not related to the blast conspiracy.
Gita was taken into police custody on Sunday after she returned here, while Nilesh was detained in Balia.
Nilesh had earlier maintained that Gauri is dead.
The child was found abandoned on December seven at the Shitla ghat, the scene of the blast that left two, including
a two-year-old girl, dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!