Victoria to provide details of attacks on Indians
Melbourne: Amid a spate of attacks on
Indians here, the Victorian government on Thursday said it will
provide all relevant details to New Delhi on these incidents.
Victorian Premier John Brumby, who was on a week long
trip to India to mend the troubled relationship, offered this
suggestion to New Delhi, according to his spokesperson.
"Premier Brumby made the offer to the Indian
Government to keep them appraised of progress of cases
involving Indian citizens in Victoria. The updates will track
the progress of cases through Victoria`s legal system," the
official told a news agency.
Brumby has been assuring Indian authorities of full
support to curb any violence against Indians apart from
following up the incidents of `racial crime`.
He has stressed that relationship between India and
Australia was strong and the Indian community formed a vital
part of the multicultural society in the state.
The premier also urged the community to have complete
faith in the legal system of the country.
Around 30 Indian students were attacked in various
cities from June to August. Last month, three Indians were
"brutally bashed" by a group of around 70 youth here.
The attacks against Indians described in the media as
race-based caused some diplomatic discomfort between the two
countries and sparked angry protests in India.
Around 93,000 of the 430,000 foreign students in
Australia are Indians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in