Voters defy naxals in Gadchiroli district
Nagpur: The voters in naxal-infested and
tribal-dominated Gadchiroli district in eastern Maharashtra
have defied naxals`s call not to vote and turned out in large
numbers to exercise their right, government officials said.
Huge voter turnouts were recorded on the polling day
on October 13, they added. The overall percentage in
Gadchiroli district, comprising three Assembly constituencies,
was 67.23 per cent including 70.35 per cent of male voters
which was much better than Nagpur.
The district headquaters itself recorded 65.8 per cent
(67.68 male, 62.35 female) while Armouri recorded a highest of
70.42 per cent (73.43 male, 67.26 female) and Aheri registered
66.42 per cent polling (62.50 male, 65.8 female).
A total of 4,26,453 voters including 1,98,962 women had
exercised their franchise out of 6,34,344 voters (3,10,967
women) in the district during the polls. Twenty-two polling
booths where repolling was conducted, also witnessed record
Bhagwanpur recorded 82.0 per cent followed by Mohgaon
86.72, Singha 85.79, Guji 79.25, Satputi 73.46, Jamnara 73.40,
Vikaspalli 71.87, Chandra 73.43 and Mandra 84 per cent are
some of the booths which saw huge voter turnout, sources said.
Anandrao Gedam of Congress (Armouri), Namdeo Usendi of
NCP (Gadchiroli) and Deepak Mallaji Atram, an independent
(Aheri) were elected during counting of votes yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’