VVIP chopper deal: Defence Ministry issues final show cause notice to AgustaWestland
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Defence Ministry has issued final show cause notice to Anglo-Italian firm AgustaWestland over the cancellation of its Rs 3,600 crore helicopter deal in view of bribery charges against it.
The notice, issued by the Ministry on October 21, accuses AgustaWestland of violating a "pre-contract Integrity Pact".
It asks the Anglo-Italian firm to explain why "all or any action as prescribed, including cancellation of the contract, should not be taken against them for violating the terms of the pre-integrity pact and the contract for procurement of 12 VVIP choppers". The company has been given 21 days to reply to the notice.
Asked about the arbitration process invoked by AgustaWestland, Defence Ministry sources said these proceedings are not applicable on the breach of pre-contract integrity pact of the Defence Ministry.
The government has already frozen the contract for supply of 12 AW-101 VVIP choppers to the IAF.
The IAF has already received three helicopters and delivery of the rest has been put on hold.
Earlier this month, the company said it has invoked arbitration proceedings against the Defence Ministry for "unilaterally" freezing the deal.
The sources claimed that the government had been preparing to issue the notice for cancellation much before AgustaWestland took the step.The Defence Ministry had first issued a show cause notice to AgustaWestland on February 15, asking it to explain within seven days the bribery allegations against it after the alleged scam was exposed in Italy.
In the notice, the company was asked why the Rs 3,600 crore deal of 2010 should not be scrapped.
In its reply, AgustaWestland had denied the allegations.
Former IAF chief SP Tyagi is among those under cloud in connection with the kickback charges.
The CAG also recently highlighted loopholes in the deal.
Soon after the arrest of the firm`s former CEO, Guiseppe Orsi, in Italy in connection with the case, Defence Minister AK Antony had suspended the payments to be made to it along with the delivery it was due to make to IAF for the remaining nine choppers.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in