Was Anna Hazare`s decision to end fast a surprise to aides?
New Delhi: Did Anna Hazare abruptly announce the ending of the fast, taking his associates by surprise?
The dramatic announcement by Hazare came at 4 pm on Thursday when the activist said he and his aides will end the fast tomorrow.
It did not come at the end of his nearly 30 minute speech which started around 3 PM but later after his close aides Arvind Kejriwal, Kiran Bedi and Kumar Vishwas had spoken.
His first speech did not mention about ending the fast while Kejriwal talked about waiting for next two days to take a decision on the political alternative after going through the suggestions from public.
After the speeches of Kejriwal and Bedi, he again picked up the microphone to add some other points like Lokayukta bill in states and not just changing the system at Centre but at the states also.
Then Vishwas, who was conducting the proceedings from the dais, started summarising the content of all speeches. Hazare again asked for the microphone from him and announced that the fast will be ending tomorrow evening.
"It is another two years to go to polls in 2014. We have to go to people throughout the country in the next one-and- half years. Why waste time on fasts? Tomorrow at 5 PM, all fast will end," Hazare said.
His announcement appeared to surprise his team as there were no indication to that effect in the speeches of either Hazare and Kejriwal in the afternoon.
When asked whether there was a surprise element in the announcement, a Team Anna member said there was no need to see a conspiracy angle in it and claimed a decision was taken in a meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm