WB Governor accepts Asok Kumar Ganguly`s resignation as rights panel chief
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: A day after the former Supreme Court judge Asok Kumar Ganguly chose to quit as the chairman of West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC), the state`s Governor MK Narayanan on Tuesday accepted his resignation and forwarded the letter to the Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra and President Pranab Mukherjee.
Reeling under intense pressure to quit from the state`s rights panel in wake of sexual harassment allegations by a woman law intern, Justice Ganguly yesterday met the Governor at Raj Bhawan in what was a closed door meeting lasting 45 minutes and submitted his resignation.
Ganguly had earlier in December ruled out resigning from the post of WBHRC chief but after a presidential reference for his removal was okayed, Ganguly submitted his resignation, thus saving himself the ignominy of being thrown out.
The chorus for him to step down grew louder after the beleaguered judge was indicted by the Supreme Court panel for "unwelcome behaviour" and "conduct of sexual nature".
However, he has denied the allegations against him and claimed that he was being framed by some"powerful interests" in retaliation to certain judgements delivered by him.
Justice Ganguly was accused of misbehaviour by a law intern in the Le Meridien hotel room on December 24 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez