WB moots counter insurgency force to combat Naxals
Kolkata: The West Bengal government has
decided to raise a counter insurgency force on the lines of
Greyhounds in Andhra Pradesh to combat Maoists in the state.
A training centre for the personnel would be set up in
Salua and they would be given field training at Salboni, both
in West Midnapore district, while the force`s headquarters
would be based in Garia, Director General of Police Bhupinder
Singh said today.
At least 1000 personnel from the state armed forces
would be given commando training for inclusion in the counter
insurgency force, he said, adding budgetary allocation has
been made for the purpose.
IGP (Armed Police) Vivek Sahay was given additional
charge as IGP (Operations) in the force, while Assistant
Director of the National Police Academy Ajoy Nanda would take
over as DIG (Training and Operations), Singh said.
At present such schools existed in Chhattisgarh,
Jharkhand and Maharashtra.
The state police was also thinking of commando
training on the Greyhound pattern for all policemen at a later
stage, the DGP said.
Such training was currently given to DSPs and senior
officials by the experts in naxalite-hit states, he said.
Trainees would be shortlisted from common recruitment,
The Centre has approved the proposal for three counter
insurgency anti-terrorist schools in North Bengal, Purulia and
Salua, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!