WCD against lowering age of consensual sex from 18 to 16
New Delhi: The proposal to lower the age of consensual sex from the present 18 years to 16 continued to be the sticking point at the meeting of GoM, set up to look into a new tough law to tackle crimes against women, with WCD minister Krishna Tirath opposing the proposed move.
Sources said the Group of Ministers (GoM), which is looking into Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2013, agreed on most issues, but Tirath is understood to have stuck to her stance that the age of consent should continue to remain 18.
The Women and Child Development minister is learnt to have maintained that the definition of the term `child` is generally held to be anyone under 18 years of age.
This definition was also present in the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act which was passed by the Parliament last year, she said.
Among other aspects, the WCD minister is learnt to have favoured a consistency in the age and definition of child in various laws.
It is learnt that another meeting is likely to be held before the Bill can be forwarded to the Cabinet and the Parliament, where the issue related to `age of consent` will again be deliberated in detail.
After the GoM held its meeting today, Finance minister P Chidambaram had said substantial progress had been made in preparing the proposed legislation.
"Now we have completed the work substantially. I think we will require another hour or so," Chidambaram told reporters.
He said the GoM will meet again tomorrow evening when the work will be completed and the Bill will go to the Cabinet on Thursday.
"Sections that we have covered, all points of view have been taken into account and reconciled and the final version of the clause has emerged and we can do that for the remaining sections also and tomorrow the work will be complete," Chidambaram had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi