When age gaffe embarrassed PM Manmohan Singh
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh almost faced an embarrassment when the affidavit filed by him stated his age as 82 instead of 80 years and eight months.
On Wednesday, Dr Singh filed his nomination for a fifth consecutive term in the Rajya Sabha from Assam.
Although the error made in mentioning the age in the affidavit filed by Dr Singh while submitting his nomination for a Rajya Sabha seat has been corrected, yet exposed a slipshod approach to documents, reports a newspaper.
The error was corrected through an additional affidavit submitted on his behalf.
The daily quoted Assam Parliamentary Affairs Minister Nilamani Sen Deka as saying that the discrepancy was due to a wrong entry in the state electoral roll.
"According to civil procedure code, if there is any error, it can be rectified," Deka said.
The current term of the two Rajya Sabha members representing Assam -- Manmohan Singh and Asom Gana Parishad`s (AGP) Kumar Deepak Das -- ends on June 14.
Manmohan Singh has been representing Assam in the upper house since 1991 after he became the union finance minister. Then Assam chief minister Hiteswar Saikia had offered him a Rajya Sabha seat that had fallen vacant.
He is expected to win comfortably this time too as the Congress and its allies occupy 94 berths in the 126-member Assembly.
According to official sources, May 20 is the last date to file nominations. The scrutiny of nominations will be held the next day. Polls, if necessary, will be held on May 30.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder