When age gaffe embarrassed PM Manmohan Singh
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh almost faced an embarrassment when the affidavit filed by him stated his age as 82 instead of 80 years and eight months.
On Wednesday, Dr Singh filed his nomination for a fifth consecutive term in the Rajya Sabha from Assam.
Although the error made in mentioning the age in the affidavit filed by Dr Singh while submitting his nomination for a Rajya Sabha seat has been corrected, yet exposed a slipshod approach to documents, reports a newspaper.
The error was corrected through an additional affidavit submitted on his behalf.
The daily quoted Assam Parliamentary Affairs Minister Nilamani Sen Deka as saying that the discrepancy was due to a wrong entry in the state electoral roll.
"According to civil procedure code, if there is any error, it can be rectified," Deka said.
The current term of the two Rajya Sabha members representing Assam -- Manmohan Singh and Asom Gana Parishad`s (AGP) Kumar Deepak Das -- ends on June 14.
Manmohan Singh has been representing Assam in the upper house since 1991 after he became the union finance minister. Then Assam chief minister Hiteswar Saikia had offered him a Rajya Sabha seat that had fallen vacant.
He is expected to win comfortably this time too as the Congress and its allies occupy 94 berths in the 126-member Assembly.
According to official sources, May 20 is the last date to file nominations. The scrutiny of nominations will be held the next day. Polls, if necessary, will be held on May 30.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price