Why EC does not issue notice to Narendra Modi for his speeches? Digvijay
Guna: Reacting to the Election Commission`s (EC) notice to Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi for his speeches in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh, party general secretary Digvijay Singh on Friday asked why Bharatiya Janata Party`s (BJP) prime ministerial aspirant Narendra Modi is never issued a notice for his speeches on religion and caste.
"When Modi gives speeches based on religion and caste, then Election Commission (EC) does not issue notice to him. This is a matter of concern," he said.
The Election Commission has issued a notice to Rahul Gandhi for his speeches in Churu, Rajasthan on October 23 and Indore, Madhya Pradesh on October 24.
The poll body has asked the Congress number two to explain by Monday why action should not be initiated against him for prima facie violating the Model Code of Conduct.
The Election Commission notice also says that in case no reply is received within the prescribed time limit it will be presumed that he has nothing to say and the commission will proceed to take appropriate action without any further reference.
The BJP had complained to the poll body in this regard, saying that Gandhi had falsely blamed the party for communal violence in Muzaffarnagar in Uttar Pradesh.
In its complaint, the BJP said that the Congress Vice-President`s remarks violate the Model Code of Conduct for elections.
The BJP `s complaint to the poll panel also included Gandhi`s allegation during a rally in Indore that Pakistani agencies were trying to reach out to young Muslims whose families had been affected by the Muzaffarnagar violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state