Why is govt avoiding FDI discussion, asks BJP
New Delhi: The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday questioned the government`s hesitation in admitting a discussion on foreign direct investment (FDI) in retail, asking if it was not confident of its majority.
Commenting on social networking site Twitter even as Parliament was adjourned once again amid protest over FDI in retail, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj asked why was the government running away from the discussion under a rule that entails voting.
"We want a discussion in Parliament on our adjournment motion on FDI in retail. Why is the government running away from a discussion followed by a vote in the House?" Swaraj asked.
"This means the government does not have the majority support in Parliament on this decision," she said.
Party leader Arun Jaitley called the decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail a knee-jerk reaction from the government.
"FDI in retail cannot be introduced merely as a knee-jerk response because the government is suspected to have abandoned economic reforms," Jaitley, Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, said in an article released by the party office.
"We are not opposed either to the concept of FDI or giving an additional thrust to the reform programme. Changes which hurt the Indian economy can hardly be termed as reforms," he wrote.
Parliament was adjourned yet again on Wednesday on the issue of FDI in retail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!