Why is govt avoiding FDI discussion, asks BJP
New Delhi: The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday questioned the government`s hesitation in admitting a discussion on foreign direct investment (FDI) in retail, asking if it was not confident of its majority.
Commenting on social networking site Twitter even as Parliament was adjourned once again amid protest over FDI in retail, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj asked why was the government running away from the discussion under a rule that entails voting.
"We want a discussion in Parliament on our adjournment motion on FDI in retail. Why is the government running away from a discussion followed by a vote in the House?" Swaraj asked.
"This means the government does not have the majority support in Parliament on this decision," she said.
Party leader Arun Jaitley called the decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail a knee-jerk reaction from the government.
"FDI in retail cannot be introduced merely as a knee-jerk response because the government is suspected to have abandoned economic reforms," Jaitley, Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, said in an article released by the party office.
"We are not opposed either to the concept of FDI or giving an additional thrust to the reform programme. Changes which hurt the Indian economy can hardly be termed as reforms," he wrote.
Parliament was adjourned yet again on Wednesday on the issue of FDI in retail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest