Will Indian Railways put the brakes on Mamata Banerjee`s dream `Duronto`?
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Duronto trains, widely seen as one of the legacies of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee during her stint as railway minister, may be discontinued, a report said on Tuesday.
Introduced by Banerjee despite opposition, the Railways have over 60 Duronto trains.
However, in a bid to prevent financial situation from going out of hand, the Railways is mulling discontinuing non-stop Duronto trains.
According to reports, two Duronto trains - from Chennai to Tiruvanantpuram and from Chennai to Coimbatore – will be discontinued from December 03 and 09 respectively.
Some Durontos, which are designed to offer Rajdhani-like experience with food included and an air-conditioned Economy Class, are reportedly incurring heavy loss on the Railways.
Since the colourful coaches ply from original station to the destination without any halt, 20 to 30 percent berths stayed empty, a report said.
Notably, short-distance travels yield more revenue to the transporter.
The Railway converted the Ajmer-Hazrat Nizamuddin Duronto Express as Jan Shatabdi Super Fast Express train with additional stoppages this month.
Six Duronto trains have been converted into regular trains till now.
The Railways have also reportedly decided to withdraw coaches from the regular trains, which run at less than their capacity, and attach with the ones which operate way above their capacity as a method of increasing internal generation of resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy