Will see Afzal Guru mercy plea after Par session: Shinde
New Delhi: Files pertaining to mercy pleas of Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru and six others will be looked into after the ongoing Winter Session of Parliament, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said on Sunday.
Addressing a press conference here, Shinde also said there has not been any request to hand over the body of 26/11 Mumbai terror attack convict Ajmal Kasab, who was hanged on November 21.
"There is no request for Kasab`s body. Neither from his family nor from the Government of Pakistan," the Home Minister told reporters here.
Kasab, 25, was hanged last month after his mercy plea was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee.
To a question on mercy plea of 2001 Parliament attack convict Guru, Shinde said a decision to reject his clemency application was taken earlier.
"(Subsequently) The file was sent to the President for consideration. But the President sent back to me seven cases (including Guru). When Parliament session is over, I will look into it. I can`t tell you the date," he said.
"The file has not come to me. President said new Home Minister should look into the file. As soon as the file comes to me, I will not take much time," Shinde, who took over as new Home Minister on August 1, said.
Guru was sentenced to death for the 2001 Parliament attack in which nine people, including security force personnel, were killed and 16 were injured.
Earlier on the sidelines of 47th Raising Day function of Border Security Force (BSF) here, Shinde had said he will see the seven files, including one of Guru`s, after the Winter Session which concludes on December 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan