Will sit at Ramlila maidan before 2014 polls: Anna
Pune: "Lokpal lao nahi to jao?" will be the refrain for the next phase of social activist Anna Hazare`s agitation for the Jan Lokpal Bill, till the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
"We will wait for the passing of the bill till the current session of Parliament comes to an end in May. If it does not happen we will have another one and half year before the next general elections are held."
"I will sit at Ramlila maidan once the 2014 elections are declared with a slogan `"Lokpal lao nahi to jao`. As I start my agitation, people will pour in before me holding the tricolour," he told reporters at Ralegan-Siddhi today, marking completion of one year of the anti-corruption movement launched by him in the capital.
Hazare alleged that the government was "dilly-dallying" on the issue of Jan Lokpal bill at present because there are no immediate elections to he held.
They had agreed to constitute a joint committee to draft the bill because of the scheduled assembly polls in five states which were round the corner. However, Prime Minister changed his stand and the government failed to keep its word in Parliament on enactment of the bill, he claimed.
Hazare reiterated that he would undertake a country-wide tour to mobilise support for institution of the ombudsman.
He said he would not campaign against any particular party and urge the voters not to elect those who oppose the Jan Lokpal Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!