‘Women quota bill a conspiracy against Muslims, Dalits’
Lucknow: Slamming the Women`s Reservation Bill as a "dangerous" one, SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav on Sunday alleged that it was a conspiracy to prevent Muslims,
backwards and dalits from entering Parliament and state assemblies.
"SP is not against reservation to women, but we are against the present format of the bill, which is a big conspiracy by the Congress and the BJP to prevent Muslims, backwards and dalits to get elected to the Lok Sabha and Vidhan Sabhas," Yadav, whose party has steadfastly opposed the bill, told reporters here.
Attacking the two parties, he said, "It`s not an allegation, it`s the reality as Congress and BJP had always been anti-Muslim, anti-backwards and anti-dalit. Therefore, they want to amend the Constitution."
He contended that when not a single Muslim MP was elected to Parliament from several states including Gujarat, MP, Maharashtra, Punjab and Haryana, how could a Muslim women be elected without reservation.
"This bill is dangerous.... If it is enacted, Muslims and OBCs will be at the receiving end," he said.
"It`s a big conspiracy not to allow the leadership to grow among Muslims, OBCs and dalits," he claimed.
Yadav said that if the intention was to promote women, then why was reservation not being offered in government jobs and in the education sector.
"If they want uplift of women why don`t they offer 40 to 50 percent reservation in government jobs or in the education sector. We have no objections," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH