Would be happy to see Sharad Pawar as PM, says Sushilkumar Shinde
Zee Media Bureau
Solapur (Maharashtra): In a setback for the Congress ahead of its crucial January 17 session where party vice president Rahul Gandhi is likely to be named the prime ministerial candidate, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Saturday said that he would be happy to see Maharashtra strongman Sharad Pawar as the prime minister.
Speaking at an event here, Shinde said Pawar, the chief of Nationalist Congress Party – a key UPA constituent – has been the victim of politics at Delhi.
The Home Minister said Pawar has been in the PM race as early as 1992. He further credited the NCP chief for his entry into politics.
It may be noted that Pawar was earlier part of the Congress, but broke away from the national party on the issue of Sonia Gandhi`s foreign origin issue.
Pawar has made it clear that he will not contest the 2014 Lok Sabha elections due in May. Observers say the NCP chief is eyeing the Rajya Sabha route to enter Parliament.
With Prime Minister Manmohan Singh declaring that he will not be the PM if UPA returns to power after the May elections, it has become almost certain that the Jan 17 session could be used to declare Rahul Gandhi`s elevation as Congress` PM candidate.
Shinde`s remarks contradict the Congress stand and will surely not go down well with the top party leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset