Would have sought more punishment for Headley: Khurshid
New Delhi: India would have sought "much more" punishment for Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) operative David Headley had he been tried here, External Affairs minister Salman Khurshid said on Friday.
The Pakistani American, who played a key role in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, was Thursday sentenced to 35 years in prison by a US court.
"Had we tried him we would have sought much more," Khurshid told a news channel when asked whether the 35-year sentence was adequate.
Under a plea deal, US prosecutors "had agreed not to seek the death penalty against him and to not extradite him to Pakistan, India or Denmark for the offences to which he pleaded guilty".
Asked whether Headley would ever be tried in India, Khurshid said: "The question could only be answered by the prosecuting authorities I cannot speculate."
He further said that India has been "consistently" pushing for the Pakistani American terrorist`s extradition and trial in India and that "it`s good to know that he`s being made accountable and that he has at least got 35 years".
Headley`s 35-year sentence would be followed by five years of supervised release. There is no federal parole and defendants must serve at least 85 percent of their sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack