`Wrong flight path could have caused crash`
Mangalore: An "incorrect" flight path could have caused the crash of the Air India Express aircraft from Dubai at Bajpe airport here, a senior Airport Authority of
India official said on Sunday.
The official, who visited the crash site, told a news agency, "An incorrect flight path could have been a possible reason (for yesterday`s mishap)."
The official, who refused to be identified, was called in to assist in the investigations into the crash, which killed all but eight of 166 people on board. The plane overshot the
runway, veered off and plunged into a ravine before bursting into flames.
Speaking to reporters after visiting the crash site yesterday, Union Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel had said the aircraft did not contain itself within the limited space
on touchdown and overshot the spillover area on the runway.
He had also stated that the runway was operationally compliant and technically fit for operating an aircraft of Boeing 737-800 series and the plane was just two-and-a-half
years old with no history of defects or malfunctioning.
Patel had also said visibility was sufficient, the runway dry and the two pilots, including the commander, an expatriate from Serbia, had good flying experience.
The minister had, however, refused to comment on whether the accident was a result of pilot error and said he would await the report of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation, which is inquiring into the disaster.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview