Yechury hints at CPI and CPI (M) merger
Hyderabad: CPI(M) politburo member Sitaram Yechury on Momday hinted at a possible merger of the two Left parties- CPI and CP(M)- in the near future.
He however said that no time-frame could be given as to
how long the process might take.
Yechury was speaking at a `Meet the Press` organised
by the Andhra Pradesh Union of Working Journalists (APUWJ).
"The merger of the two parties, however desirable it
may be, has to undergo a certain process. One way of doing it
is through the unification of various mass organisations and
joint activities at the lower level, which will percolate to
the top," he said.
"I think that is a more sustainable path, rather than
the leadership coming together. So that is a process that is
on. The parties are working together now at the mass
organisation level," Yechury added.
When asked if the process could eventually lead to the
merger of the two parties, he replied, "Hope so".
At the same time, he refused to give a time-frame. "We
cannot give a time table. But all the well wishers of the Left
want it to happen as soon as possible," he said.
Highlighting the CPI(M)`s commitment towards fighting
corruption, he said his party demanded comprehensive
anti-corruption measures, including an effective Lok Pal
legislation bringing the Prime Minister under its ambit,
setting up of a National Judicial Commission to oversee the
judiciary and electoral reforms to curb the use of money
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly