Yeddyurappa confident of rebel MLAs’ return
Bangalore: Amid the suspense over the fate of
the BS Yeddyurappa government in Karnataka following the
revolt by a section of BJP MLAs, both the ruling party and
opposition JDS on Saturday continued their political machinations to
maintain control over the rebels now holed up in a Goa hotel.
Tourism Minister and mining magnate G Janardhana Reddy, who
has been engaged in intense parleys with the 14 rebel MLAs,
remained in Goa to persuade his party colleagues and also five
independent MLAs to return to Bangalore and save the ministry
when it faces the crucial confidence vote on Monday.
A BJP source hinted that the rebel MLAs might return to
the city but refused to commit whether they will fall in line
with the party and vote in favour of the motion of confidence
to be moved by Yeddyurappa in the state Assembly on October
11, to fulfil a directive by Governor HR Bhardwaj.
Even as Reddy, a dissident-turned-loyalist continued talks
with rebels, JDS MLA Jameer Ahmed Khan also met them in Goa,
sources here said.
Yeddyurappa, who is imploring divine intervention to save
his government, today offered pooja at the Lakhshminarasimha
Swamy temple and said he was confident of winning the trust
"I am confident that the rebel MLAs will return to the
city today and I will win the vote of confidence," he told
He said he visited the temple to pray for the "welfare of
In another development, JD-S state unit president, HD
Kumaraswamy, who has also become a rallying point for a
section of BJP dissidents, returned to the city today and
declared "my Mission Goa has been successful", indicating that
there is no change in the resolve of dissidents to vote
against the BJP government.
Minister for Power Shobha Karandlaje, whose induction into
the ministry last month led to the fresh bout of revolt
against Yeddyurappa, flayed JDS for interfering in the affairs
"It is our family affair. What role Kumaraswamy has in
it," she asked while speaking to the press and even offered
to quit the ministry if the party high command desired.
Opposition Congress leader in the state Assembly
Siddaramaiah accompanied by KPCC president RV Deshpande met
Governor HR Bhardwaj to discuss the prevailing political
Congress has been expressing apprehensions over Assembly
Speaker KG Bopaiah conducting the session in a fair manner
and had urged the governor to appoint observers to oversee
the conduct of business on Monday when Yeddyurappa faces the
In a shock to JD-S, trying to pull the plug on the BJP
government, its MLA M C Ashwath from Chennapatna was believed
to have switched over to the saffron party.
"Ashwath has betrayed the party. People will teach him a
lesson," JD-S MP from Mandya, N Cheluvaraya Swamy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?