Z security for Sangeet Som: 'No inputs taken from UP'
Lucknow: Amid the controversy over the Centre according Z security to BJP MLA Sangeet Som, a Muzaffarnagar riots accused, UP government today said no inputs were taken from it on the issue even as it maintained that it will continue to provide him Y category security as per a High Court order.
"Security is the state subject. In this particular case, no input was taken by the Centre from the state before providing him the security," Secretary, Home, Kamal Saxena said.
He said there were rules and norms for providing security and it was reviewed during a meeting of IB and state officers every six months. On that basis, security could be continued or withdrawn.
Saxena also said there were examples when Centre had earlier given security to leaders directly.
However, when asked, he did not name any leaders.
The official said that on the directives of High Court and after analysing threat perception, the state had provided Y category security to the legislator and it would continue along with the Z security.
Based on intelligence inputs that Som, MLA from Sardhana in western Uttar Pradesh, could be targeted by extremist elements, the Union Home Ministry decided to bring him under the security umbrella of the commandos of the central paramilitary force CRPF.
"We have received a letter from the Centre regarding upgradation of Som's security to Z category," Uttar Pradesh's IG (Law and Order) Amrendra Singh Sengar told PTI earlier.
The letter has been forwarded to the agency concerned, Singh added.
The move to provide Z category security by the Centre came under scathing attack from Opposition which termed it as a "license for killing" and a cruel joke with the victims.
The BJP defended the move, saying the decision to provide security is taken based on "sufficient evidence" from intelligence sources and not on "whims and fancies".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler