`Zardari has taken Sarabjit`s case very seriously`
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has taken "very seriously" the case of Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who has been in a jail for two decades, External Affairs Minister SM Krishna said.
Krishna raised 49-year-old Sarabjit`s case with Zardari during a meeting here on Friday.
"The President has taken it very seriously and he instructed his office to look into the details," Krishna told Indian reporters during an interaction here last evening.
"Our approach is on a humanitarian basis, especially the fact that he has spent almost 20 years in a Pakistani jail," he said.
The Pakistan government will have to consider factors like Sarabjit`s age and health while deciding on the issue, Krishna said.
Sarabjit was convicted for alleged involvement in a string of bombings in 1990 that killed 14 people. His family says he is a farmer and the victim of mistaken identity.
Sarabjit`s relatives said he strayed into Pakistan in an inebriated state three months after the bombings.
Following the intervention of the Pakistan People`s Party-led government, Sarabjit`s execution was put off indefinitely.
He is currently being held at Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore and recently submitted a fresh mercy petition to President Zardari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door