`Zardari has taken Sarabjit`s case very seriously`
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has taken "very seriously" the case of Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who has been in a jail for two decades, External Affairs Minister SM Krishna said.
Krishna raised 49-year-old Sarabjit`s case with Zardari during a meeting here on Friday.
"The President has taken it very seriously and he instructed his office to look into the details," Krishna told Indian reporters during an interaction here last evening.
"Our approach is on a humanitarian basis, especially the fact that he has spent almost 20 years in a Pakistani jail," he said.
The Pakistan government will have to consider factors like Sarabjit`s age and health while deciding on the issue, Krishna said.
Sarabjit was convicted for alleged involvement in a string of bombings in 1990 that killed 14 people. His family says he is a farmer and the victim of mistaken identity.
Sarabjit`s relatives said he strayed into Pakistan in an inebriated state three months after the bombings.
Following the intervention of the Pakistan People`s Party-led government, Sarabjit`s execution was put off indefinitely.
He is currently being held at Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore and recently submitted a fresh mercy petition to President Zardari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried