`165 mn mobile net users in India by Mar 2014`
New Delhi: India is expected to have close to 165 million mobile internet users by March 2014, up from 87.1 million in December 2012 as more people are accessing the web through mobile devices and dongles, a report by Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and IMRB said today.
According to the report, the number of mobile Internet users increased to 87.1 million by December 2012 from 78.7 million users in October 2012, who accessed Internet through dongles and tablet PCs.
This is expected to grow further to 92.9 million (by March 2013), 130.6 million (by March 2014) and 164.8 million by March 2015.
The number of mobile Internet users in the country stood at 4.1 million in March 2009, the study said.
Of the 78.7 million users in October 2012, 61 million Off-Deck users (accessing sites other than sites of the operator), 15 million On-Deck users (accessing only sites specified by the operator), the report said.
"The remaining 2.7 million users accessed the internet using dongles (i.E. Connected to Internet using 2G, 3G or high-speed data cards)," it added.
The report said an average monthly bill of a user who access Internet on mobile devices is Rs 460. Of this, about Rs 198 is spent towards Internet expenses.
"This is a very healthy trend as it shows willingness of the users to spend nearly 40 per cent of the bill towards Internet access. The rest is spent on voice services," the report said.
Email, social networking services (SNS) and messengers have high usage among mobile Internet users. The report found that accessing online videos, games or reading online news is done about 2-6 times a week.
While online games are accessed by nearly 50 per cent of the mobile Internet users, less than 30 per cent of users read online news and watch online videos, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Bitter boxer Manoj Kumar appeals for PM's intervention to clear Indian boxing mess
- Finance Ministry recommends CBI probe into 80 kg of missing gold from IGI Airport
- Hotel rooms are so mainstream! Rent a vacation home this time
- Sporting Lisbon's Joao Mario completes record EUR 45-million move to Inter Milan
- Top seven cos take cumulative hit of Rs 29,907 cr in m-cap