A simple tweak can protect your Windows PC from critical vulnerability
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: You can now guard against your Windows PC from critical vulnerability with a simple tweak, according to a new report from Avecto, a UK based Software Company.
Microsoft published 147 vulnerabilities in 2013 that were rated critical. In its 2013 Microsoft Vulnerabilities Study, Avecto, found that by simply removing administrator rights, you could mitigate exactly 92 percent of critical vulnerability, bringing down the number of series threats from 147 to around 12.
Avecto also observed that this would circumvent 91 percent of the critical flaws in Office, and 100 percent (as in every single Critical vulnerability) of those that impact Internet Explorer.
However, what the Avecto report does not address is that starting with Windows Vista; Microsoft has introduced the concept of User Account Control (UAC), which runs on the least privileges and requires authorization before lifting privileges for tasks that require administrator rights.
Also, Windows XP is simply more vulnerable and lacks most of the advanced security controls, and thus, a flaw listed as important or moderate on Windows 7 or 8 will show it as critical on Windows XP.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read