Chinese bloggers launch hitchhiking programme
Beijing: Six Chinese bloggers have launched a "ride-share" hitchhiking programme to ease the burden of holiday travel for people who fail to get tickets ahead of the Spring Festival.
The programme was launched by the bloggers for the holiday travel season last year, and relaunched it again this year, Xinhua reported.
It is aimed at helping those people who cannot get tickets to go home, especially migrant workers with limited access to official ticketing systems.
Those failing to snap up tickets can now turn to shunfengche.org via text messages, a mobile app and microblog.
Real names are essential for hitchhiking safety.
In 2012, over 1,000 people took advantage of the programme, and the number is expected to jump to 10,000 this year, said Wang Yong, one of the programme`s founders.
The Spring Festival, China`s most important holiday for family reunions, falls Feb 10. The holiday travel period runs from Jan 26 to March 6.
Over 220 million passenger trips are expected during the period, putting enormous stress on the country`s transport sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'