Criminals using Facebook to taunt victims
London: In a shocker, nearly 350 criminals in
British jails have been found using Facebook with some of them
taunting victims and threatening to seek revenge.
All the profiles were closed by Facebook following
investigations by prison officials.
In the past two years, nearly 350 people have been caught
posting entries on Facebook while serving a sentence, UK
Ministry of Justice figures show.
Violent criminals have been using Facebook to taunt
victims and their families from jail, it was disclosed
yesterday, the newspaper reported.
It is likely that hundreds more have successfully used the
site without authorities being made aware. Inmates are banned
from using the internet but access the web through mobile
phones smuggled into jails.
Two years ago it emerged that Colin Gunn, one of Britain`s
most dangerous gangsters was using Facebook to threaten his
enemies from a high security prison cell.
"I will be home one day and I can`t wait to look into
certain people`s eyes and see the fear of me being there.
"It`s good to have an outlet to let you know how I am,
some of you will be in for a good slagging and some have let
me down badly and will be named and shamed....," Gunn had
The 44-year-old was jailed in 2006 for the revenge
killings of John and Joan Stirland.
Recently a teenager who killed a shopkeeper posted a
series of pictures on Facebook showing him making gangster
"If something is happening which violates our use policy
we will be very active and robust in removing it," a Facebook
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark