Facebook launches free calling for iPhone users
Washington: Facebook has rolled out a free calling feature in its Messenger app for the iPhone.
The feature, which was released in Canada a few weeks ago, will let iPhone users make free calls to other iPhone users who are using the Messenger app. One cannot use the feature to make calls on landline or cell phone numbers.
According to a English news website, in the app, select a friend, then the "i" icon in the upper right hand corner, and you will then see a "Free Call" option.
Facebook confirmed that users will not have to update the app for this feature, as it will automatically appear for those who already have the app.
As with Skype or other mobile VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) services, you can make the calls over Wi-Fi or a 3G, 4G or LTE connection.
This is just one of many mobile announcements Facebook has made in the past few months.
According to the report, it upgraded both its iPhone and Android apps to make them faster and it released a new Poke app, which destroys messages 10 seconds or less after you look at them.
Facebook didn`t make a big announcement about the voice calling service, but it`s a very big move for the social networking company, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Who are you? Guide to top seeds` rivals at 2016 US Open
- Low oxygen level kills thousands of peanut bunker fish in Keansburg marina- Watch!
- Dilshan equalled services of Jayawardena, Sangakkara for Sri Lankan cricket: Mathews
- Egypt frees renowned rights lawyer Malek Adly
- Shankaracharya for 'plebiscite' on both sides of Kashmir