Google might dump Reader RSS over privacy issues
New York: Internet search giant Google could be shutting down its RSS app Google Reader in a bid to avoid problematic compliance issues related to privacy, it has been claimed.
The US-based tech giant said it is closing the news aggregator on July 1 because of declining usership.
But sources have claimed that Google is doing so to better orient itself so that it stops getting into trouble with repeated missteps around compliance issues, particularly privacy, AllThingsD reports.
That means every team needs to have people dedicated to dealing with these compliance and privacy issues, lawyers, policy experts, etc, the sources said.
Google didn`t even have a product manager or full-time engineer responsible for Reader when it was killed, so the company didn`t want to add in the additional infrastructure and staff, they added.
But at the same time, Google Reader was too deeply integrated into Google Apps to spin it off and sell it, like the company did last year with its SketchUp 3-D modeling software.
The context for this concern about compliance is Google`s repeated public failures on privacy due to lack of oversight and coordination, the report said.
It`s pretty clear why Larry Page is trying to run a tighter ship, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok