Hackers attack Russian media outlets
St. Petersburg: Several media outlets in Russia`s St. Petersburg city, and a popular online news broadcaster, Dozhd (Rain), came under hacker attack Thursday.
"There has been a DDoS attack going since (Thursday) morning. Our IT service is doing everything possible to get the site back up and running. This is a very serious attack," said the editor-in-chief of the St. Petersburg-based online newspaper Fontaka.ru.
Other sites affected include Novaya Gazeta and Ekho Moskvy in St Petersburg.
While no one from Novaya Gazeta in St. Petersburg was available for comment, Ekho Moskvy`s St. Petersburg editor said, "Yes, the site is down. IT teams are working on it. We suspect a hacker attack."
Popular online TV network Dozhd posted a statement on Facebook, explaining the situation. "Dear friends, the site www.tvrain.ru is temporarily unavailable - we are under DDoS attack."
The statement described the attack as "more serious than we initially thought", but reassured viewers that they were "doing everything possible to get back online" and mentioned that some of their content were available online.
By 3 p.m. Moscow time, Fontanka.ru was back online, but the Novaya Gazeta and Ekho Moskvy sites were still down, as was that of Dozhd TV.
Russian internet users also reported problems with the nationwide sites for Novaya Gazeta, Ekho Moskvy and Russian Forbes.
Many of the publications affected are viewed in Russia as less influenced by self-censorship and more closely aligned to the opposition than mainstream Russian media.
Later, the Khomyachki (Little Hamsters) group of "patriotic hackers" posted a video on its site claiming responsibility for the attacks, saying they were timed to coincide with Victory Day.
There has been no independent verification of the source of the attack or the veracity of this claim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez