Nelson Mandela’s vast digital personal archives posted online
London: Thousands of documents, photographs and videos of South Africa’s first black president Nelson Mandela have been placed online in a mass digital archive.
The digital archive has been created by the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory and Internet search giant Google.
They have transformed the documents into a searchable collection that can also be browsed through seven online ‘exhibits.’
According to The Telegraph, it includes everything from his Methodist Church membership cards from 1929, the oldest documents in the archive, to his handwritten notes taken during the talks to end apartheid.
Many of the documents, which can now be seen at archive.nelsonmandela.org, are housed at the Centre of Memory, where they have been carefully catalogued and stored, but rarely available to the public.
The archive allows anyone to flip through Mandela’s desk calendars from his years in the apartheid prison on Robben Island, see rare photos of him as a young man, and find videos of luminaries like Desmond Tutu as well as ordinary South Africans speaking about their experiences with him.
“Everyone, everywhere enjoys access to its contents free of charge,” said Verne Harris, of the Centre of Memory, who emphasised the project``s independence from its benefactor Google.
“We own the content. We, not Google, determine what content is selected and how it is presented,” the paper quoted Harris, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation