No emails to Volkswagen workers: BlackBerry
London: The BlackBerries of German Volkswagen workers will now automatically stop receiving work messages at the end of their shifts.
At many companies, it’s become totally normal for workers to receive and answer emails from bosses and colleagues throughout the night and even on days off.
But the landmark ruling in Germany has changed that, at least for some Volkswagen workers.
Volkswagen’s email servers stop routing messages automatically half an hour after the end of a working day, and will only start again half an hour before the next one.
BlackBerry’s business servers have 500 different options to allow for flexibility - including total shutdown of the handsets, or allowing workers to receive phone calls and personal emails while blocking ones to their business address.
The agreement, with the firm’s work’s council in Germany, could be a landmark for workers tired of being contacted out of hours using the devices.
Several companies already impose a voluntary ban on BlackBerry use out of hours, after alarms about stress and burnout.
Workers often report feeling “phantom buzzes” from their BlackBerries, leading to a feeling of being at work all the time.
“The new possibilities of communication also contain inherent dangers,” the Daily Mail quoted Heinz-Joachim Thrust of VW’s works council as telling the Wolfburger Allgemeine Zeitung.
However, the ruling only affects workers who fall within one specific trade-union-agreed pay bracket.
Management, and other workers, will have to keep theirs on.
It’s unclear what effect the ruling will have on other unionised firms in Germany, the Financial Times revealed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams