Now, new technology that allows users to hide secret messages in Facebook pics
Sydney: A new technology will now enable Facebook users to encode secret messages in the pictures they upload on the social networking website.
The creator of the technology is Owen-Campbell Moore - an Oxford University student and former Google intern.
Moore`s plugin, titled "Secretbook", lets Facebook users share messages hidden in JPEG images without the prying eyes of others, reports News.com.au.
All the user has to do is download the plugin, refresh his Facebook page, and hit ctrl+alt+A. A dialogue box will appear which allows the user to upload an image with an encoded message.
The plugin is only available on Google Chrome. Moore said he built it in Chrome to preserve users` privacy.
Moore said he built Secretbook to demonstrate that JPEG steganography can be performed on social media where it has previously been impossible.
Facebook`s apps publicly list their users so building it within the social network would defeat the purpose of the app. Running it through a web browser means users can`t be detected by Facebook`s network analysis.
This technology creates a brand new security threat, as criminals or terror organisations could potentially use the app to share plans.
Facebook and the Australian Federal Police already work together and use a number of different tools including identification technology to investigate online criminal behaviour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what