Twitter boss wants `billion users` to `topple Facebook`
London: Chief executive of Twitter Dick Costolo has revealed he wants his microblogging platform to be as big as rival firm Facebook, with one billion users.
Costolo took aim at the milestone Facebook only reached in October after nine years of operation.
Twitter only has 500million users and has been running for seven years.
Costolo said they `don`t think about his firm`s goals in terms of other companies`, adding that `where we want to get to is human scale, global scale. That`s a billion users, not where we are today,` the Daily Mail reports.
Twitter and Facebook are bitter rivals and last year came to blows over photo sharing service Instagram.
Facebook eventually bought the site for one billion dollars, but only after talks with Twitter for a 525 million dollars plus Twitter stocks deal fell through.
According to the paper, Costolo also discussed the tit-for-tat scraps with Facebook that have made their feud bitter and very public.
In one such conflict, Instagram shut off an option that let Twitter users show Instagram pictures, prompting Twitter to introduce its own photo filters to encourage users to switch away from Instagram , the paper added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed