Twitter steps up security measure to counter cyber-attacks
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Following a series of high-profile hacking of users’ accounts, micro-blogging site Twitter is stepping up security measures to prevent unauthorized logins.
With the new login system, users will receive a six-digit code using a text message each time they sign in to Twitter.com. Besides their username and password, users will have to enter the code as well to log in.
Microsoft Corp., Google Inc. and Facebook Inc. already allow two-step verification as an option.
Unlike the other Internet companies, though, Twitter will ask users for a verification code each time they log out and log back in, even if it`s from the same computer. The others allow you to bypass that if you are using the same computer regularly. Microsoft began offering two-step verification last month. Facebook and Google have offered them longer.
Twitter users can sign up for two-step verification under their account settings. To do this, Twitter will ask for either a confirmed email address associated with the account or a phone number that`s been verified.
Even as the two-step verification process adds an extra security layer to Twitter logins, Twitter said users should still take common precautions. That includes selecting complex passwords that are unique to their Twitter account, and not clicking on suspicious email links.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017
- ISKCON pins hopes on PM Narendra Modi for Krishna temple in Moscow