Twitter to help advertisers target `relevant audience` on network
New Delhi: Microblogging site Twitter will now allow advertisers to directly target users with "promoted tweets" based on the interests they reveal in their tweets.
Twitter will no longer remain a `dumb` bulletin board where nearly 400 million micro-messages are posted daily. The social networking site has moved to a strategy of actively sifting through what each user is reading and tweeting in order to discern their interests.
"We`re taking an important next step by allowing you to target your Promoted Tweets and Promoted Accounts campaigns to a set of interests that you explicitly choose," Twitter product management director Kevin Weil said in a blog post.
In an effort to draw advertisers, the company has also slashed the minimum price of `promoted tweets` from 50 cents each to just a penny.
CEO Dick Costolo has said in recent months that his company`s value lies in its ability to mine its flow of information to build “an interest graph” showing its users` preference profiles — which could be used by marketers to deliver targeted and relevant ads.
As part of its new targeting feature, Twitter will now let advertisers to send paid ads, in the form of tweets, to users who are interested in any of the roughly 350 topics that Twitter has identified.
Since its launch in March 2006, Twitter is hoping to catch up to other consumer Internet companies that have found varying degrees of success by using technology to serve better-targeted ads.
For years, Google has reaped huge profits by displaying ads based on what a user searches for in its search engine, while Facebook encourages users to proactively input their “likes.” But Twitter, by contrast, has long faced the challenge of indirectly inferring these preferences, something that marketers find less attractive for their needs.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery