21 killed as flood situation remains unchanged in Assam
Guwahati: At least 21 people were killed and
several injured in flood and thunderstorm that lashed Assam
during the past three days, official sources said on Monday.
Six people died after being hit by lightning in lower
Assam`s Dhubri district, while another six died in Cachar
district, an official release said.
While three persons died in Nagaon district, two died in
Kamrup(metro) while one each died in Goalpara, Nalbari,
Morigaon and Karimganj districts.
The government has announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs
one lakh each to the next of kin of the deceased.
Official sources said the flood situation remained
critical as many parts of the state remained inundated by
waters of Brahmaputra river and its tributaries.
Nearly 90 percent of power supply has been restored in
the state after the thunderstorm destroyed electric poles and
disrupted power supply, the release said.
The government has decided to set up round-the-clock
emergency control room which will function as a disaster
management information centre, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!