94 vehicles leave in convoy from Sikkim for Siliguri
Gangtok: A convoy of 94 vehicles left Rangpo
in Sikkim for Siliguri on Sunday via National Highway 31A which
passes through Darjeeling district where Gorkha Janmukti
Morcha (GJM) sponsored indefinite bandh enters its fifth day.
The convoy left Rangpo with police escort in view of the
bandh, police said.
They said for the last few days GJM picketers had only
allowed Sikkim National Transport (SNT) vehicles to pass on
the highway and private vehicles and taxis were plying at
their own risk.
Meanwhile, the Sikkim Hotels and Restaurant Association
(SHRA) has urged the people of the Darjeeling hills and the
GJM leaders there to allow unhindered vehicular movement to
Sikkim on National Highway 31A as it was the lifeline of the
Addressing a press conference, the SHRA also
expressed its gratitude towards the people of Darjeeling for
allowing at least SNT vehicles to ply on the highway during
The SHRA also condemned the killing of three GJM
supporters in the police firing at Sibchu on February 8.
SHRA President, Bhanu Pratap Rasaily, said that
tourism was the only sector in Sikkim in which local people
were engaged in gainful employment. This sector, he said, had
been hit due to the current spate of bandhs and travel
Rasaily said that although the GJM had assured the
national highway would be kept open for Sikkim during the
Darjeeling bandh, some unwanted incidents had scared regular
traffic off the highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery