94 vehicles leave in convoy from Sikkim for Siliguri
Gangtok: A convoy of 94 vehicles left Rangpo
in Sikkim for Siliguri on Sunday via National Highway 31A which
passes through Darjeeling district where Gorkha Janmukti
Morcha (GJM) sponsored indefinite bandh enters its fifth day.
The convoy left Rangpo with police escort in view of the
bandh, police said.
They said for the last few days GJM picketers had only
allowed Sikkim National Transport (SNT) vehicles to pass on
the highway and private vehicles and taxis were plying at
their own risk.
Meanwhile, the Sikkim Hotels and Restaurant Association
(SHRA) has urged the people of the Darjeeling hills and the
GJM leaders there to allow unhindered vehicular movement to
Sikkim on National Highway 31A as it was the lifeline of the
Addressing a press conference, the SHRA also
expressed its gratitude towards the people of Darjeeling for
allowing at least SNT vehicles to ply on the highway during
The SHRA also condemned the killing of three GJM
supporters in the police firing at Sibchu on February 8.
SHRA President, Bhanu Pratap Rasaily, said that
tourism was the only sector in Sikkim in which local people
were engaged in gainful employment. This sector, he said, had
been hit due to the current spate of bandhs and travel
Rasaily said that although the GJM had assured the
national highway would be kept open for Sikkim during the
Darjeeling bandh, some unwanted incidents had scared regular
traffic off the highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read