APSCW calls for fast track court for crimes against women
Itanagar: The Arunachal Pradesh State Commission for Women (APSCW) has called for establishing fast-track courts for speedy trial of cases related to crimes against women and for submission of charge-sheets within a prescribed time frame, sources said on Sunday.
APSCW chairperson Gumri Ringu made a series of suggestions including establishing forensic laboratories in every state before a three-member committee, headed by former Chief Justice of India JS Verma, that had sought suggestions on amending the existing anti-rape laws, according to the official sources.
The other suggestions include initiating action against police officers causing undue delay in investigation, ban on transfer of an investigation officer till completion of the charge-sheet in a case and barring habitual criminals who have committed crimes against women from getting government jobs or becoming public representatives.
The commission also suggested that death penalty be awarded to persons who have committed rape and murder, and life imprisonment for those who have committed rape and sexual assault.
The Justice Verma Committee, constituted to give recommendations on amending laws to provide speedier justice and enhanced punishment in sexual assault cases, had sought suggestions from the general public by January 5.
The other members of the committee, constituted by the Centre, are Justice (Retd) Leila Seth, former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court and Gopal Subramanian, former Solicitor General of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh