APSCW calls for fast track court for crimes against women
Itanagar: The Arunachal Pradesh State Commission for Women (APSCW) has called for establishing fast-track courts for speedy trial of cases related to crimes against women and for submission of charge-sheets within a prescribed time frame, sources said on Sunday.
APSCW chairperson Gumri Ringu made a series of suggestions including establishing forensic laboratories in every state before a three-member committee, headed by former Chief Justice of India JS Verma, that had sought suggestions on amending the existing anti-rape laws, according to the official sources.
The other suggestions include initiating action against police officers causing undue delay in investigation, ban on transfer of an investigation officer till completion of the charge-sheet in a case and barring habitual criminals who have committed crimes against women from getting government jobs or becoming public representatives.
The commission also suggested that death penalty be awarded to persons who have committed rape and murder, and life imprisonment for those who have committed rape and sexual assault.
The Justice Verma Committee, constituted to give recommendations on amending laws to provide speedier justice and enhanced punishment in sexual assault cases, had sought suggestions from the general public by January 5.
The other members of the committee, constituted by the Centre, are Justice (Retd) Leila Seth, former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court and Gopal Subramanian, former Solicitor General of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands