Arunachal gets award for devolution of power to panchayats
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh has been chosen for national award for devolution of powers to the three-tier panchayati raj system under the Rajiv Gandhi Panchayat Sashastikaran Abhiyan (RGPSA) for the years 2013 and 2014.
The Union Ministry of Panchayat Raj, RGPSA division announced the award amounting to Rs 1 crore each for five states, namely Maharashtra (first), Kerala (second), Karnataka (third), Andhra Pradesh (fourth) and Arunachal (fifth), an official release said here on Thursday.
The process was initiated by Chief Minister Nabam Tuki in February 2013 by delegating functions of 25 of the 29 departments to the panchayats.
"This is in tune with the party`s commitment to the masses to fulfill former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi`s dream to hand over power to the people to for self-governance and speedy development," APCC President Padi Richo said, adding this is the beginning and many more promises made would be fulfilled accordingly.
Arunchal Pradesh Panchayati Raj Coordination Committee Secretary General Sangha Tagik lauded the CM for his initiative.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India