Arunachal pursuing waiver of Article 371(H) with Centre
Itanagar: Chief Minister Nabam Tuki today informed the state assembly that the government had been constantly pursuing the Centre to amend the Constitution and waive Article 371(H) and put Arunachal Pradesh under the provisions of Article 371(A) and 371(G) in line with Nagaland and Mizoram.
The provisions would protect and safeguard the customary rights of tribal people regarding ownership and transfer of land and forest produces of the state.
"The government has sincerely and constantly taken up the matter with the Centre ever since the attainment of Statehood in the year 1987," Tuki said in reply to a written question by PPA member Nikh Kamin.
Unlike Nagaland and Mizoram, after Arunachal became a full-fledged state in February 20, 1987, no constitutional safeguard or special protection with respect to religious and social practices, customary laws and rights to ownership and transfer of land was provided to the tribal people of the state, the Chief Minister said.
He said, the state law department has written to the union ministry of home affairs during 1998 and 2006 requesting to bring an amendment to the Constitution to provide constitutional protection to the people of the state in line with the states of Nagaland and Mizoram.
Tuki further informed that the state assembly during September last year, adopted a private member`s resolution to provide special provisions for protection and safeguarding the rights of the tribal people and the resolution was submitted to Home ministry in April this year with request to provide the people of the state special protection in the line of Nagaland and Mizoram.
According to the provision of Article 371 (H), the state governor has special responsibility with respect to law and order in the state and in the discharge of his functions in relation thereto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi