Arunachal pursuing waiver of Article 371(H) with Centre
Itanagar: Chief Minister Nabam Tuki today informed the state assembly that the government had been constantly pursuing the Centre to amend the Constitution and waive Article 371(H) and put Arunachal Pradesh under the provisions of Article 371(A) and 371(G) in line with Nagaland and Mizoram.
The provisions would protect and safeguard the customary rights of tribal people regarding ownership and transfer of land and forest produces of the state.
"The government has sincerely and constantly taken up the matter with the Centre ever since the attainment of Statehood in the year 1987," Tuki said in reply to a written question by PPA member Nikh Kamin.
Unlike Nagaland and Mizoram, after Arunachal became a full-fledged state in February 20, 1987, no constitutional safeguard or special protection with respect to religious and social practices, customary laws and rights to ownership and transfer of land was provided to the tribal people of the state, the Chief Minister said.
He said, the state law department has written to the union ministry of home affairs during 1998 and 2006 requesting to bring an amendment to the Constitution to provide constitutional protection to the people of the state in line with the states of Nagaland and Mizoram.
Tuki further informed that the state assembly during September last year, adopted a private member`s resolution to provide special provisions for protection and safeguarding the rights of the tribal people and the resolution was submitted to Home ministry in April this year with request to provide the people of the state special protection in the line of Nagaland and Mizoram.
According to the provision of Article 371 (H), the state governor has special responsibility with respect to law and order in the state and in the discharge of his functions in relation thereto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy