Assam announces Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia for kin of 8 miners
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday announced an ex-gratia grant of Rs two lakh to the next of kin of the eight coal mine labourers from the state killed in Meghalaya`s South Garo Hills on Sunday night.
The Chief Minister`s Office (CMO) said Gogoi has announced the grant for the next of kin of each of the eight labourers who were killed in their camps in a remote mining village in the neighbouring state.
The grant for the three injured was yet to be announced as the seriousness of their wounds was being assessed for placing them in the right category for receiving the monetary assistance, the sources said.
Meanwhile, Assam government has called for stepped-up security measures in the wake of the killing of the labourers from the state.
Assam Home Secretary G D Tripathi said the state government has taken up the matter seriously with its Meghalaya counterpart and asked it to increase security so that no further untoward incident takes place.
"We have condemned the incident in the strongest possible terms and asked the government of Meghalaya to strengthen security in the area where the unfortunate incident occurred on Sunday night," he said.
Of the eight coal mine labourers, seven hailed from Goalpara and one from Bilasipara, official sources said.
Assailants armed with sharp weapons had attacked the labourers who were sleeping in their camps at Garrittim village, about 50 kms from district headquarters Williamnagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city