Assam announces Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia for kin of 8 miners
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday announced an ex-gratia grant of Rs two lakh to the next of kin of the eight coal mine labourers from the state killed in Meghalaya`s South Garo Hills on Sunday night.
The Chief Minister`s Office (CMO) said Gogoi has announced the grant for the next of kin of each of the eight labourers who were killed in their camps in a remote mining village in the neighbouring state.
The grant for the three injured was yet to be announced as the seriousness of their wounds was being assessed for placing them in the right category for receiving the monetary assistance, the sources said.
Meanwhile, Assam government has called for stepped-up security measures in the wake of the killing of the labourers from the state.
Assam Home Secretary G D Tripathi said the state government has taken up the matter seriously with its Meghalaya counterpart and asked it to increase security so that no further untoward incident takes place.
"We have condemned the incident in the strongest possible terms and asked the government of Meghalaya to strengthen security in the area where the unfortunate incident occurred on Sunday night," he said.
Of the eight coal mine labourers, seven hailed from Goalpara and one from Bilasipara, official sources said.
Assailants armed with sharp weapons had attacked the labourers who were sleeping in their camps at Garrittim village, about 50 kms from district headquarters Williamnagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know