Assam govt to present white paper on development
Guwahati: Accused by the opposition of failure to bring in development, the ruling Congress party in Assam Tuesday said it will table in the assembly session next month a white paper on the state`s development activities and move a special motion to discuss the progress card of the government.
This was decided at the Business Advisory Committee meeting of the Assam assembly Tuesday.
The decision was taken following a verbal war between the ruling party and the main opposition Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) - both accusing each other of failure on all fronts.
"We challenged the AGP to move a motion in the assembly to debate on the development activities in the state. The opposition refused to take up the challenge and so we decided to move the motion and hold a special debate," Assam government spokesperson and Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma told reporters.
The five-day assembly session begins July 12.
"We shall first submit a white paper on the development activities on July 13, then hold a special debate on July 14 and the next day the chief minister would reply to the debate," Sarma said.
The debate and the chief minister`s reply would be telecast live.
Earlier, the AGP charged the Congress government of failing on all fronts, which provoked the ruling party to move a special motion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away in Chennai after suffering cardiac arrest; PM Modi pays tribute to Tamil Nadu CM
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what