Campaigning for final phase polls ends in Assam
Guwahati: The high-pitch campaign for the
64 Assembly constituencies going to polls in the second and
final phase on April 11 in Assam, ended on Saturday.
The constituencies are located in 14 districts of
Dhubri, Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon, Goalpara, Barpeta, Kamrup
(Metro), Kamrup (Rural), Nalbari, Baksa, Chirang, Udalguri,
Darrang, Morigaon and Nagaon.
An electorate of 96,77,113, comprising 50,09,083 men
and 46,68,030 women will decide the fate of 596 candidates --
449 men and 47 women.
The campaign was peaceful barring a few incidents of
violence in four Bodoland Territorial Administered Districts
by the Ranjan Daimary led anti-talk NDFB faction.
Of 12,589 polling stations, 2033 have been identified
as hyper-sensitive, 4175 as sensitive and 475 as vulnerable,
election commission sources said.
Altogether 345 companies of central paramilitary
forces have been deployed for the polls. About 65 to 75 percent of polling stations will be covered by the central paramilitary forces and the rest by police, the sources said.
Arrangement have also been made for micro-observers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred