Campaigning for final phase polls ends in Assam
Guwahati: The high-pitch campaign for the
64 Assembly constituencies going to polls in the second and
final phase on April 11 in Assam, ended on Saturday.
The constituencies are located in 14 districts of
Dhubri, Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon, Goalpara, Barpeta, Kamrup
(Metro), Kamrup (Rural), Nalbari, Baksa, Chirang, Udalguri,
Darrang, Morigaon and Nagaon.
An electorate of 96,77,113, comprising 50,09,083 men
and 46,68,030 women will decide the fate of 596 candidates --
449 men and 47 women.
The campaign was peaceful barring a few incidents of
violence in four Bodoland Territorial Administered Districts
by the Ranjan Daimary led anti-talk NDFB faction.
Of 12,589 polling stations, 2033 have been identified
as hyper-sensitive, 4175 as sensitive and 475 as vulnerable,
election commission sources said.
Altogether 345 companies of central paramilitary
forces have been deployed for the polls. About 65 to 75 percent of polling stations will be covered by the central paramilitary forces and the rest by police, the sources said.
Arrangement have also been made for micro-observers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'