Centre`s interlocutor for talks with ANVC arrives in Shillong
Shillong: Former IB chief PC Haldar,
the Centre`s interlocutor for talks with the banned Achik
National Volunteer Council (ANVC), on Monday arrived here for
holding negotiations with the Garo militant group.
Official sources said Haldar is likely to hold the
first round of talks with the group in Tura, the headquarter
town of West Garo Hills, as demanded by ANVC.
The banned group, which had entered into a tripartite
ceasefire with the Centre and the state in 2004, had
threatened to break the truce if the Centre failed to come up
with a `workable solution` to its demands.
The ANVC said it is not happy with the Centre`s
decision to extend the ceasefire periodically instead of
continuing it indefinitely.
Faced with the threat by the group to unilaterally end
the ceasefire, Chief Minister D D Lapang had rushed his deputy
Mukul Sangma on March 11 to New Delhi to impress upon the
Centre on the need for extension of ceasefire with the tribal
militant group before its March 31 expiry.
Last September, the group decided to keep its demand
for a separate state for Garos in abeyance for the time being.
Instead, it put forward the demand for the creation of
Garoland Autonomous Council, an autonomous body, for all the
three districts of Garo Hills - East, West and South - for
The ANVC also submitted a memorandum to the Centre,
demanding direct funding to the proposed council.
While around 80 cadres of the group are overground,
police say there are a few who have deserted the group and are
still in the jungles with some arms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed