Churches in Mizoram urge EC to change poll schedule in state
Aizawl: The Mizoram Kohhran Hruaitute Committee, a conglomerate of leaders of 13 major churches in Mizoram has asked the Election Commission to change the dates of polling and counting of votes for the state Assembly polls.
In a letter submitted to the EC through the state Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Ashwani Kumar, MKHC said the Presbyterian Church Synod and the United Pentecostal Church, Mizoram were having state-wide conferences which would clash with the December 4 date of polling in the state.
The counting of votes, which is scheduled for December 8 falls on Sunday, the holy day for majority of Christians, the letter said, adding the churches suggested that Mizoram undertake polling on November 25, along with Madhya Pradesh.
Though not suggesting a particular date for counting of votes, the conglomerate has said counting should be held on any day of the week except Saturday and Sunday, as Saturday is also `Sabbath`, a sacred day for some church denominations like the Seventh Day Adventist.
Kumar told today he has also received separate appeals from political parties, from the United Pentecostal Church of Mizoram, Aizawl-based anti-corruption watchdog - People`s Right to Information and Development Society of Mizoram (PRISM), Mizoram Upa Pawl (MUP) or elders` association and the central committee of the Young Mizo Association (YMA).
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Sachin Tendulkar accepts IOA's invitation to become India's Goodwill Ambassador for upcoming Rio Olympics
- IPL 2016: Gujarat Lions vs Delhi Daredevils - Possible XI, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- Fed up of repeated ads on odd-even featuring Arvind Kejriwal? Watch this viral video slamming Delhi CM
- Sensex slumps 232 points; Nifty cracks below 7,800-mark
- Govinda took Dawood Ibrahim's help to defeat me in 2004 Lok Sabha polls: Ram Naik