Churches in Mizoram urge EC to change poll schedule in state
Aizawl: The Mizoram Kohhran Hruaitute Committee, a conglomerate of leaders of 13 major churches in Mizoram has asked the Election Commission to change the dates of polling and counting of votes for the state Assembly polls.
In a letter submitted to the EC through the state Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Ashwani Kumar, MKHC said the Presbyterian Church Synod and the United Pentecostal Church, Mizoram were having state-wide conferences which would clash with the December 4 date of polling in the state.
The counting of votes, which is scheduled for December 8 falls on Sunday, the holy day for majority of Christians, the letter said, adding the churches suggested that Mizoram undertake polling on November 25, along with Madhya Pradesh.
Though not suggesting a particular date for counting of votes, the conglomerate has said counting should be held on any day of the week except Saturday and Sunday, as Saturday is also `Sabbath`, a sacred day for some church denominations like the Seventh Day Adventist.
Kumar told today he has also received separate appeals from political parties, from the United Pentecostal Church of Mizoram, Aizawl-based anti-corruption watchdog - People`s Right to Information and Development Society of Mizoram (PRISM), Mizoram Upa Pawl (MUP) or elders` association and the central committee of the Young Mizo Association (YMA).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?