Congress deleted or added names of voters: BJP
Itanagar: The BJP in Arunachal Pradesh has charged the ruling Congress government with adopting unfair means to add or delete the names of voters from the electoral rolls for the ensuing Panchayat and Municipal Elections slated to be held on May 16.
The party in a statement today said that the government in power was indulging in various means to compel the administration to add or delete the names of voters, which it said would invite serious law and order problem in the state capital.
"Even after announcement of elections, the final compiling of electoral rolls are still going on with mass transfers of voters to other municipal wards where the voters residence do not fall, is a conspiracy of deprivation of democratic rights of the families, which needs proper attention," the party said and threatened to launch democratic movement if the anomalies were not corrected immediately.
The party urged upon the Itanagar Municipality Electoral Registration authorities to stop the ongoing selective mass voters transfer from one municipality ward to another simply based on forged electricity bills which it said was gross violation of democratic norms and practices.
State BJP president Tai Tagak urged the state election commission to use face recognition software or Google Picasa to detect duplicity of voters while finalising electoral rolls.
Tagak also asked the election commission to ensure deployment of adequate para military forces during the Municipality Elections considering the prevailing law-and-order situation of the state capital and its nearby areas for ensuring free and fair elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Teaser of Aishwarya Rai, Ranbir Kapoor's ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’ is out and it is insanely entertaining!
- Victoria decides to ban fracking and coal seam gas exploration permanently
- Blast at Chinese embassy in Kyrgyzstan; one dead, three wounded
- AAP focusing only on attacking PM Narendra Modi: Harsh Vardhan
- Sensex soars over 400 points; Nifty breaches 8,700-mark