Congress demands early municipal polls in Nagaland
Kohima: Nagaland Pradesh Congress has
demanded conduct of early elections to urban local bodies in
the state which have been pending for over past two
The opposition party today demanded that the state
government immediately conduct the polls, saying that the
party was ready to face the elections to municipal and town
councils in the state for which the high court has already
asked the government to hold the exercise by January.
NPCC sources said the party had welcomed the recent ruling
of Guwahati high court which directed the government to
conduct the elections as per Nagaland Municipal Acts 2005
which stipulates 33 per cent reservation for women.
When the tenures of elected urban local bodies ended in
2010, the state government made administrative arrangement to
run the municipal bodies that included former members as
advisers. But it deferred the elections indefinitely on the
pretext of on-going Naga peace process which it does not want
Earlier, elections were conducted without any reservation
However, disposing a petition by Naga Mothers Association
(NMA) and others, the high court recently ruled that the
election should be conducted by January with the provision of
33 per cent reservation of seats for women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics