Couple shot dead by militants in Manipur
Imphal: A 35-year old man and his
wife were shot dead in front of their three children at an isolated village in Phungyar sub-division of Manipur`s interior Ukhrul district bordering Myanmar, a delayed official report said Tuesday.
The report said about six suspected militants in
military uniform barged into the house of Vareingam Mahonao Shimray at Lungphu village on Sunday night and gunned down Shimray and his wife, Ngaherla (33) in front of their three children.
Both died on the spot, sources said adding that the bodies were collected by police from the village, about 85 km
northeast of here and being kept at Ukhrul district hospital
The motive behind the killings was not immediately
known, sources said.
Shimray was not only a clerk in the local church but
also a teacher at a nearby private school and involved in the
work of National Rural Employment Generation Scheme (NREGS).
First official reports hinted that the militants might have demanded a huge money from the victim since the latter
was a village authority in the implementation of the scheme
in the area.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for
the killing, sources said adding that Shimray was a respected
person in the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video