Couple shot dead by militants in Manipur
Imphal: A 35-year old man and his
wife were shot dead in front of their three children at an isolated village in Phungyar sub-division of Manipur`s interior Ukhrul district bordering Myanmar, a delayed official report said Tuesday.
The report said about six suspected militants in
military uniform barged into the house of Vareingam Mahonao Shimray at Lungphu village on Sunday night and gunned down Shimray and his wife, Ngaherla (33) in front of their three children.
Both died on the spot, sources said adding that the bodies were collected by police from the village, about 85 km
northeast of here and being kept at Ukhrul district hospital
The motive behind the killings was not immediately
known, sources said.
Shimray was not only a clerk in the local church but
also a teacher at a nearby private school and involved in the
work of National Rural Employment Generation Scheme (NREGS).
First official reports hinted that the militants might have demanded a huge money from the victim since the latter
was a village authority in the implementation of the scheme
in the area.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for
the killing, sources said adding that Shimray was a respected
person in the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?