Economic blockade begins in Manipur
Imphal: The indefinite economic blockade called by two student bodies to demand that 7000 students be allowed to appear in the Class-X Manipur board exam began from Thursday midnight along Imphal-Moreh National Highway, affecting movement of vehicles carrying goods.
Although the movement of passenger buses and other transport services were allowed, volunteers of Kuki Students` Organisation and Naga Students` Union Chandel district checked all the vehicles blocking those carrying economic items either from Moreh to Imphal or Imphal to Moreh, official reports from Chandel district, bordering with Myanmar, said.
The two students` bodies alleged that the Board of Secondary Education Manipur (BSEM) had not allowed about 7000 students particularly from hill districts to sit for the BSEM Class X exam about two years ago despite their attending the schools for about ten years.
Sources in the BSEM said certain rules and regulations have to be followed by the candidates before appearing for any BSEM examination and there were cases whereby students who had studied at valley educational institutions wanted to write their examinations at the hill centres.
Commenting on the economic blockade, officials said they were not aware of the demand of the two students` bodies and would look into the matter when a proper complaint was received by the BSEM.
They appealed to the two students` bodies to call off the economic blockade because international trade between India and Myanmar is carried out through border town of Moreh, about 120 km south-east of here, on daily basis involving crores of rupees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!